Jun 24, 2013

Inspired by Grant Leier

Leigh Designs' Trinidad (small)
My latest model and stitch guide for Leigh Designs was a departure from my normal style of stitching.  Last winter --models are stitched way ahead of a trade show because they have to go to the finisher well in advance of the trade show date-- Leigh asked me to stitch one of the small versions of her Caribe' series that came out in April in the larger size at the Destination Dallas show.  The smaller "coaster" sizes are now available, too.
http://www.leighdesigns.com/Grp627x.html

This enables folks who love the big designs but who are short of time to pick up a smaller version to stitch when they have free time.  We all love those quick smaller projects as they are so very satisfying.

I choose to work on the tiny version of Trinidad.  As soon as I saw it, I knew it was perfect for trying something new.   I wanted to recreate one of Grant Leier's paintings on needlepoint canvas.  Can you guess which painting I took for inspiration?
http://horsecountrychic.blogspot.com/2013/02/grant-leiers-whimsical-world.html

Tiny Trinidad Stitched
The stitch guide for my "Leier-inspired" Trinidad uses the new Swarovski flat backed sew on crystal sequins, Swarovski bicones, beads and metallic threads on tulle.   In person the sparkle is amazing if I do say so myself.  The guide itself is five pages long, plus a cover page, materials list and large colored photo of my finished stitching.   This technique can be used successfully on any needlepoint canvas that gives the impression you are looking out a window into a landscape.  All you have to do is add the fancy embroidered sheer curtains.  Rummage in your stash, pull out all your bling and invest $10 in my guide to set your fancy free!

West Coast Finishing's Magic


Rear View of Lovely Pillow

Leigh choose West Coast Finishing to make her model up into a pillow. It looks magnificent!  Sue Parsons picked the right colors and fabrics to give Trinidad a tropical sun porch feel, then put it all together beautifully.  I am very proud to introduce Trinidad here as it is the end result of Grant Leier's art, Leigh Richardson's artistry, Sue Parson's magic sewing fingers and my imagination.

Pull up your wicker chair, pour a glass of iced lemonade, and enjoy!


No comments: