Oct 27, 2013

WARNING! WARNING! DANGER! UPDATED

Now that I have your attention, let me assure you that this is just a heads up for stitch guide writers who use Apple's Pages word processing to create their stitch guides and stitch diagrams.  As many Mac owners know, Apple has released a new operating system called Mavericks 10.9 in October 2013.  This is an upgrade to the Mountain Lion operating system from last year.

When you upgrade your computer or laptop, there is a new version of Pages and it is totally different from Pages 09.  Many of the commands have been renamed and the toolbar has been totally changed.  It means learning to use Pages all over again and it's not going to be a quick and easy process.  HOWEVER, it appears that on many computers the new Pages doesn't delete the old Pages. I  think that we can still use the old version of the word processor.

To try this, go to Applications and look for a folder labelled iWork 09.  Open that folder and you will find the old Pages.  Drag that icon to your toolbar and I think you can continue to use the older software.  YOU WILL BE ASKED if you want to upgrade to the new version.  If you click yes, the new Pages will be loaded instead.

I have icons for both versions of Pages on my toolbar and plan to use the old Pages 09 for my stitch diagrams while I try to learn the new Mavericks Pages for stitch guides.  Stay tuned to see if this works!

By the way, some of us are using older versions of Pages than Pages 09 so your word processor software will be somewhere other than a folder called iWorks 09.  I don't know if this will work for you preferred word processor, but it is worth a try if you have upgraded your machine to the Mavericks operating system.  You can always not download the new Pages.  I think it is not part of the Mavericks upgrade if I remember correctly.

UPDATE:  I have discovered that I cannot edit any documents created under Pages 09 any more.  They have to be opened and edited with the new Pages.  However, I can create stitch diagrams in Pages 09 which is what I will continue to do as I try and learn how to use the new version of the word processing software.  Wish me luck!

No comments: